Accept and Continue

Cookies on this site

This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

Useful Information

REPORT IT! - Use this link to report issues with abandoned vehicles, missed or full bins, recycling banks, public toilets, litter, fly tipping, lost dogs, stray dogs, dog fouling, dead animals, car park problems, planning enforcement, nuisances and to check who is responsible for problems with flood water. - Use this link to report issues with potholes, parking, overgrown vegetation, public rights of way, hazardous or fallen trees, debris or obstruction, hazardous road markings or signs, trip hazards, traffic lights, broken manhole cover, grit bins, bridges/retaining walls, fences and barriers, ice, street signs, lit signs, lit bollards, flooding and blocked drains.  


Are you looking to undertake works to a tree in the parish, if so, SHDC have the following advice for you:

  • To establish if trees are subject to Tree Preservation Orders or arise within Conservation Areas prior to undertaking works, you can quickly answer your enquiry by using the interactive mapping system at: Is my tree protected?. These are based upon the same mapping data SHDC use to answer such enquiries
  • If you wish to report potentially unauthorised works to trees protected to a Tree Preservation Order, within a Conservation Area or subject to planning conditions, please complete the online reporting form at: Report a potential breach
  • Requests for the potential serving of new Tree Preservation Orders against trees of merit which you feel may be at risk of felling or inappropriate pruning should be made here: Request a provisional Tree Preservation Order
  • For general enquiries relating to Tree Preservation Orders and trees in a Conservation Area and the application process for works to protected trees, please email [email protected]
  • Dangerous trees alongside footpaths and highways and trees suspected to be infected with ash dieback situated alongside footpaths and highways are generally not within the jurisdiction of South Hams District or West Devon Borough Councils and are mostly the responsibility of Devon County Council Highways. You can report a problem here:
  • For an update on a current application for works to protected trees, please search online using the application reference number or site address at: Tree works application update
  • Trees on private land are ultimately the responsibility of the landowner, including those on private land suspected of being infected with ash dieback. The SHDC/WDBC Council Tree Officer does not provide comments or general advice on tree maintenance for trees on private land. Advice should be sought from a tree surgeon or similar professional. There is useful advice on how to find a fully insured, fully qualified tree surgeon via the following link: Arboricultural Association - Find a Professional